…as defined by Oxford Dictionary:
- “a firm decision to do or not to do something… the quality of being determined or resolute…
- the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter…
- the process of reducing or separating something into its components…”
What are you deciding to do this year? What problem are you looking to solve? How can you break it down into manageable components? These are questions millions of of us ask ourselves as we see ‘the ball drop’ and excitedly shift from one year to the next.
If you cannot answer these questions, now may be a perfect time to seek God for His plan; His leading. One way to do this is through fasting and prayer. The Bible references fasting and prayer in the Old and New Testament. Joel 2:12 says, ‘”Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” ‘
There are various types, lengths, and modes of fasting. For more information on this topic, here are a few resources.
The objective of this post, however, is to get you thinking about what you want to do differently in 2017. Some Biblical scholars say that “the number seventeen means perfection in the spiritual order of things. It carries the idea of complete victory in overcoming the enemy in God’s sovereign authority and excellent completeness,” indicating that 2017 has the potential to be a pretty spectacular year if we are willing to partner with God for all He is calling us to!
So, after we seek Him with all of our hearts, and believe we receive the word/goal/purpose/calling He has for us this year, it is time to walk that out. If that goal includes a physically healthier you, break it down into manageable/track-able pieces. For example, “I want to lose weight” is going to be much more challenging than “I resolve to lose 30 pounds this year.” Here are a few additional ideas:
- I am going to seek reliable advice and work the best I am capable of to achieve 30 push-ups by December.
- I am going to eat three servings of vegetables each day.
- I am going to get a pedometer and set a 10,000 a day step goal this year!
- I am going to weigh each meal for two weeks to understand proper portion size.
- I am going to track my meals in a food diary for one month to see if I’m meeting my macro-nutrient and calorie goals. (Seek a Registered Dietician)
- I resolve to take a 15 minute walk during my lunch break each day this year.
- I set an alarm to remind me to get to bed on time so that I can get the necessary amount of sleep this year!
- I will go to the gym/exercise twice a week for two weeks, three times a week for the next two weeks, and then progress to five times a week as my “new normal” frequency goal.
Once you have your mission, decide what you need to do today, this week, this month, and over the next six months to a year…so this dream becomes a reality. You want to break your overall resolution down into smaller, more manageable tasks, so that your year doesn’t seem so daunting. Then, write it down, phone a friend, and ask others to partner with you via support/prayer/healthy influence and encouragement. This is what community is for:)
If you seek FREE Personal Training advice, please reach out to us at RISENfitness.email@example.com. We would love to partner with you to achieve your fitness goals! Our team is certified through the National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) as well as Law Enforcement Fitness Specialists through the Cooper Institute.
Consider consulting a Registered Dietician for any dietary changes, as there is much mis-information on this topic.
God bless you and your courageous goals for 2017!
Here’s to your health!